Business Development Company (BDC) Funds Overview
What is a BDC?
A business development company, or BDC, is a closed-end investment company that was created by Congress in 1980 in order to assist middle market companies to meet their capital needs and grow. Most BDCs are publicly traded, but some BDCs are often private vehicles. BDCs can help investors generate current income, offering access to institutional loan investments. Some BDCs are offered privately, which makes them similar to private institutional funds in the sense that they do not have a daily fluctuating market price. At the same time, they have investor-friendly features that can make them more appealing than an institutional fund, such as smaller minimum investment amounts, shorter hold periods, and 1099 reporting. Other BDCs are publicly traded companies, which can be helpful from the standpoint of accessibility.
Monroe Capital Private BDC: Monroe Capital Income Plus Corporation Overview and Objective
Monroe Capital Income Plus Corporation (“The Fund”) is a continuously offered private vehicle, or a private BDC, specifically designed for registered investment advisors and high net worth investors. The Fund seeks to earn a net return of 8 – 10% annually by investing predominately in senior secured loans directly originated by Monroe Capital. The focus is on sponsored and non-sponsored borrowers with EBITDA between $3-$35 million and located in the U.S. and Canada. The Fund provides streamlined access to Monroe Capital’s origination and underwriting platform in a format designed for individual investors. The Fund focuses on current income generation.
Monroe Capital Income Plus Corporation Fund Terms
- Investors must be accredited
- Low minimum initial investment size of $50,000
- Quarterly distributions paid to investors
- Evergreen structure allows quarterly subscriptions
- Fully funded upfront, no capital calls
- Easy 1099 tax reporting
- IRA eligible
- Liquidity is available after 3-year initial investment, subject to fund level gate
Monroe Capital Public BDC: Monroe Capital Corporation (NASDAQ: MRCC)
Monroe Capital Corporation is publicly traded on the NASDAQ under the ticker symbol “MRCC.” We are a specialty finance company focused on providing financing primarily to lower middle market companies with EBITDA between $3-35 million, in the U.S. and Canada. We provide customized financing solutions focused primarily on senior, unitranche and junior secured debt and, to a lesser extent, unsecured subordinated debt and equity, including equity co-investments in preferred and common stock and warrants.
MRCC is an externally managed, closed-end, non-diversified management investment company that has elected to be regulated as a business development company under the 1940 Act and as a regulated investment company (RIC) for tax purposes.
Our investment activities are managed by our investment advisor, Monroe Capital BDC Advisors, LLC (“MC Advisors”). MC Advisors is affiliated with Monroe Capital.
Monroe Capital Corporation Investment Objective
Our investment objective is to maximize the total return to our shareholders in the form of current income and capital appreciation through investment in senior, unitranche and junior secured debt and, to a lesser extent, unsecured debt and equity investments. Unitranche debt is an instrument that combines both senior and junior secured debt into one facility. We believe that our primary focus on lending to lower middle-market companies offers several advantages as compared to lending to larger sized companies, including more attractive economics, lower leverage, meaningful loan covenants, custom tailored loan documentation, direct access to borrower management and improved information flow.
Why Invest in Monroe Capital?
- Attractive current distributions
- Publicly traded MRCC has paid a regularly scheduled quarterly dividend in every quarter since its IPO in October 2012
- Monroe Capital Income Plus Corporation has paid quarterly dividends every quarter since inception
- Focus on downside protection
- Over 90% of the investment portfolio is comprised of senior secured loans
- Favorable market conditions
- There is an attractive opportunity in the U.S. middle market driven by a combination of bank consolidation and increased regulatory burden on traditional banks
- Experienced management team
- Senior management averages over 25 years of experience
- Proven track record
- Monroe has a 18 year track record of successfully delivering attractive returns to its limited partners and shareholders. Monroe has funded over 1,450 investments involving over $21 billion of investment loans since its inception in 2004
- Permanent capital base / long term investment horizon
- Efficient tax structure (RIC election)
- No entity-level income tax
- Pass through capital gains to investors
- Statutory asset diversification requirement and leverage limitation reduces risk, while allowing for enhanced returns
Monroe Capital Platform
- Award-winning lower middle market franchise
- Nationwide origination focus
- Proven management / track record
- Senior secured approach
- Focus on direct originations
- Strategic partnerships with banks
- Credit first underwriting
- Strong investment pipeline
Attractive Investment Opportunity
- High targeted portfolio return
- Lower risk profile – 86% secured loans
- Attractive risk-adjusted returns
- Proven track record in multiple credit cycles
- Trading at a significant discount to NAV
- Experienced management team